Traveling with a newborn
Whether you are feeling too much brave or traveling is the need of the time. The nervousness is always on your shoulder when you plan to travel with the newborn. The notion might be challenging but as always traveling is fun and can be experienced when traveling with an infant not only for you but also for the baby.
You’ll probably need to sit at home for the first few months with the newborn as between changing of diapers to feeding, newborn requires an ample lot of sleep, nonstop attention. But, by the age of three months, babies are a pretty good candidate for traveling as long as the trip is short.
Well, the babies are very less likely to view the travel with smiles, you cannot turn around if get in trouble as if he is enjoying, so it is ok, but if she starts scampering, then the traveling will become challenging. But, you need to think a lot and make sure you have enough suitcases before embarking on the journey with a newborn.
Old Enough to Travel
Ideally, the first forty days of the babies are best to avoid any travel. The period on confinement might extend to a few more weeks as to protect the baby from any infection and also to give you ample time to relax right after delivery.
If traveling is very necessary, then do plan to take the journey by train, car or bus. Air travel might not be feasible at this time (under six months) and also airlines have strict rules to comply with and also some do not allow to carry a baby while airborne (under one month). But, once the baby s stable enough to hold on her own and have a routine set for sleeping and feeding, infants do enjoy traveling.
Keeping the baby SAFE
Keep it simple. Plan a trip which has low-run as it should not be exhausting for the baby. Long spells are not good for the baby and also for the new mother. Try to avoid such activities and keep your schedule flexible to accommodate according to the mood of the baby, her sleeping and feeding time and make sure she digests her food.
- Flying with the baby
Well, you have to check with the airline office for any confusion as many of the airlines across the world do not allow traveling unless the baby is one month old. The case may be exceptional if the mother needs to travel very urgency due to some medical case (medical certificate will be required).
But, again try avoiding the flight.
It is not the oxygen level or the pressure in the cabin, but the traveling through an airport and in an airplane would expose her to a viral illness and other infections and this is the main concern for safe travel with a newborn.
Few guidelines for traveling with the newborn
- When traveling by car, make sure to install the car seat of the baby at the rear rather than the front seat.
- Make sure to lace window shades or a small cloth on the windows to protect your child from the rays of the sun as they might be harsh on the fresh skin.
- It is advised to travel with the first day kit for babies that must have all the medical necessities like cold, flu, cough, upset tummy and motion sickness.
- Make sure your child wears a bright color dress so that you can easily trace her in a crowded place.
- Stick an identity card on his clothes with the basic contact information in case you lose sight of him.
Feeding the baby while traveling
The most important thing to carry along with you is the adequate bottles of water as it might be very helpful in case infants demands it and generally, you do not carry mineral water bottles all the time. Instead of running here and there, carry some in your traveling bag or the infant’s bag. If you are traveling by road, try to take short breaks during the travel and that might be suitable for the baby and you will get some time to rest and also to breastfeed the baby.
If your baby is on any infant formula food, then you might need to plan very carefully when traveling. Here is what you actually need.
- Carry some easy mini food packets
- An insulated flask filled with boiled water and pre-sterilized travel bottles and nipples for the bottle.
- If the baby is on solids, pack some traveling cereals packs which can easily be prepared with water or milk.
- Carry sufficient wet wipes
- Always boil the water for making milk or food for the baby and never use packaged mineral water to prevent the upset of tummy.
- Also make sure to take some interesting toys and other favorite’s items like books, puzzles etc.
Other useful tips
- Take adequate rest before the journey. This will help you to remain calm and cool during the journey
- Take plenty of fluids during the trip. It is also important to keep yourself and the baby hydrated
- Also, if convenient take the lower berth of the train to have enough space to move around.
- Choose a lightweight stroller with a mosquito net and shade.
- Let the child sit by the window to make him review the things and be busy interesting.
- Pack an extra blanket, in case the weather changes or your child wants to sleep peacefully
- Carry a sanitizer to avoid germs while traveling especially by train
- Always carry spare clothes apart from the luggage full of clothes as the infant might turn around things messy
- While traveling, the routine turns out to be re-scheduled. Try to manage the new schedule as quickly as you can and make sure to follow that.
- Try to start the trip early in the morning as the babies are fresh and in a better mood. Make afternoons for reserved activities while evening can be spent relaxing in the room for a fresh morning.
Traveling with infants might not be convenient as traveling alone or with friends or family but is sure a wonderful experience if planned perfectly and making the right arrangements. Taking trips with infants is always a beautiful and everlasting memory of life.